ICDS is the country’s most comprehensive & multi-dimensional programme . It is a centrally sponsored scheme of the Ministry of Women & Child Development . ICDS Programme was launched on 2 October, 1975 –the 106 th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi . It is the most unique programme for early childhood care & development encompassing integrated services for development of children below six years , expectant and nursing mothers and adolescent girls living in the backward , rural , urban and tribal areas .
Objective of ICDS
- To improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age group of 0-6 years.
- To lay the foundations for proper psychological , physical and social development of the child
- To reduce the incidents of mortality , mobility , malnutrition and school drop-out
- To achieve effective coordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development ; and
- To enhance the capacity of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child through proper nutrition and health education .
Package of Service & its Beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries : Children below 3 years
- Services : Supplementary Nutrition, Growth Monitoring , Immunization, Health Check –up, Referral Services
- Beneficiaries : Children between 3 – 6 years
- Services : Non-formal Preschool education, Supplementary Nutrition ,Growth Monitoring , Immunization, Health Check –up, Referral Services
- Beneficiaries : Expectant and Nursing Mothers
- Services : Supplementary Nutrition, Nutrition and Health Education , Tetanus Toxoid Immunization to Pregnant women, Health Check –up.
- Beneficiaries : Other Women (15-45) Yeas
- Services : Nutrition & Health Education and capacity building on ECCE
- Beneficiaries : Adolescent Girls between 11-18 Years
- Services : Nutrition & Health Education , IFA Supplementation & de-worming intervention of Out of School Girls, Home based skill training and vocational training, Supplementary Nutrition of out of school girls (11-14 Years) , ARSH Training , Exposure Visit for confidence building