DISTRICT JUDICIARY OF MALDA

(1) HISTORICAL BACKGROUND :
The history of this District can be traced out to Gour and Pandua which were parts of Mourya Empire as found from the inscriptions of 'brahmilipi' discovered from the ruins of Mahasthangarh in the Bogura District of present Bangladesh. Shasanka, the king of Karnasubarna as well as the king of Gour ruled independently for more than three decades in the beginning of the 7th. Century A.D. The Pal dynasty yielded to the emergence of Sen dynasty headed by Lakshman Sen. Thereafter, the Muslim rule lasted for about five hundred years before Sirajuddaulah was defeated by Lord Clive in the battle of Plassey in 1757. The ruins and relics available in this District reminds the past pomp and grandeur and the same still attracts the tourists from all over the country.
The District was formed out of some portions of outlying areas of Purnia, Dinajpur and Rajsahi Districts in 1813. The year 1832 saw the establishment of separate treasury and the 1859 was formed for posting of a full-fledged Magistrate and Collector. The District was affected by partition between 12th. And 15th. August, 1947 as the partition award of Sir Radcliffe did not mention about this District. However,this District became part of West Bengal on 17th. August, 1947 when details of the Radcliffe award were published.
The District Judiciary of Malda was part of Sessions Division of Jalpaiguri and a full-fledged District and Sessions Judge took over charge on 01.04.1956. The Sessions Division of Malda included the District of West Dinajpur and finally on 16.05.1983 the independent Sessions Division of West Dinajpur was established on 16.05.1983 by way of bifurcation of Sessions Division of Malda.